Sheena

Sheena

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Alice In Wonderland (Movie 2010)

**SPOILER ALERT**

As a huge fan of the original story I, like many others, was eager to see this film, and hopeful that it would do the original justice.

This was not a remake as some might have thought, but was in fact a sequel of sorts. Where as this is a story of Alice's return to Wonderland.

We began this new journey by visiting a young Alice whom had been having "bad dreams" but soon we were fast forwarded to the present time. The 19 year old Alice is a bit distracted, and certainly lighthearted, to the dismay of others. Including a big-grinning redheaded lord and his mother who may remind you a bit of a certain Queen. Both are a bit too refined & strict for Alice's taste. So when the Lord proposes marriage, Alice runs off after a familiar White Rabbit and as expected falls down a rabbit hole.

From there it is a surprisingly enthralling ride that resembles very closely the beloved original tale, while not being entirely the same.

A smile came to my face upon hearing the voice of Alan Rickman as The Blue Caterpillar, and of course I was quite excited to see Depp's portrayal of the Mad Hatter. Which I for one thought was another great performance by one of Hollywood's best actors.

I was also quite glad to see the actress Helen Bonham Carter, who has been a co-star to both Rickman & Depp in the past, bring to life the character of the Red Queen. All of our favorite characters from the original tale were there as far as i can recall, though the Queens Card Guards did have a bit of a makeover with some upgraded armor, red of course.

Yet another of my favorite stars, Anne Hathaway portrayed the White Queen. While her character may seem a bit ... over played... it seems to fit the character and mood of this colorful film. This movie had me wrapped around its proverbial finger from the moment I saw Tim Burton was doing it. However, I do think it was well done, and is a film that both original fans and new comers alike will find endearing, and maybe even fascinating.

So, if you haven't seen it yet, definitely find time to, I doubt you will be disappointed.

I were to rate it, I'd give Alice in Wonderland 5 STARS!

For more reviews check out my blog Sheena Reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment